Pages

Saturday, February 11, 2012

DIY onesie decorating - embroidery

I was inspired by a amytangerine's camera onesie, that I decided to make one myself.

I was in-search for a pink bodysuit. I've been impressed with how inexpensive you can find onesies at kid's consignment shops, usually 99 cents to $3.99, that I stopped by Paron's Closet, There I found a Nordstrom baby organic cotton onesie for $3.99, which regularly retails at $32!

I decided on a pink onesie as it would be oh so cute with the zebra printed fabric I had picked up from a friend. I borrowed the fabric and embroidery materials, so the only cost to me was my time (approximately 30 minutes) and the cost of the onesie. If I had not been able to borrow from a friend, it would have cost about $15 for all materials, which is not bad considering I could have paid $25 to $40 regularly.  

Here is all you need to know if you want to give it a try...

Materials: five inch embroidery hoop, embroidery needle and thread, tracing paper with a design penciled on, sharp small scissors, and a onesie.

Steps:
1. Draw/trace the design of your choice onto tracing paper
2. Place fabric inside of onesie and tracing paper on top, then sandwich all of this with the embroidery hoop. Tip: make sure the fabric is taught before moving on and that the picture is placed correctly (preferably centered)
3. You are now ready to stitch the design, using the lines drawn on the tracing paper as your guide
4. When finished stitching, pull the tracing paper off - do not take apart the embroidery hoop
5. Using small sharp scissors, cut-out the insides of the camera to expose the fabric
6. Remove the hoop and iron any wrinkles out (optional)
7. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment