Pages

Monday, July 16, 2012

My birth plan

A birth plan is a list of accommodations and preferences that contains all of your wishes for the birthing process. This list is made for the ideal situation, but should also include your preferences for dealing with complications in the event that things don’t go as planned during the birth of your baby. As a new mom, it is best to have a good idea of what you would like, but don't get too set on the birth going according to plan - sometimes nature has its own course of events in mind. However, not getting too attached to the plan is easier said than done. I have to admit that this was the case for me (not to get ahead of myself, but my baby's birth did not go at all according to my birth plan).

To create my plan, I used a BabyCenter birth plan template and then typed it up into Microsoft Word so that I could share this electronically with my midwife. I also printed a hard copy of my birth plan and placed this in my hospital bag, which is important in case you are transferred to a hospital or a new doctor.

Here is a copy of my birth plan to give you an idea of what I wanted to have for the birth of my baby girl:

Birth Plan for [Insert Name] (I like to be called Jen), to a baby girl

Summary: I plan to have a vaginal birth with no medications or interventions at a birthing center. If needed, I will be informed of measures needed and make a call from there. Post-birth I plan to have my placenta encapsulated. I prefer to be told what is happening as it happens and have two-way feedback on how things are progressing.  

Attendees - The only people that will be allowed in the room during the birth will be:
·       (husband) 
[       (doula)

Fears
·        I have never been in an ambulance and I get anxiety at the thought of going in one. But, if needed I will go in one, with reassurance that it means I am getting help, not that I am helpless.
·        I do not want to see needles as they are injected. I prefer not to have an IV.
·        I do not wish to have medicine, to have my placenta as clean free of medicine as possible, but if need be I will accept medicine.
·        No cutting unless medically necessary

Amenities:
·        I will bring my own music (which may or may not be played)
·        Dim the lights and have candles (if oxygen is not on)
·        I will wear my own clothes during labor and delivery
·        husband or doula will be taking pictures/video

Birthing location: Puget Sound Birth Center

If I am transferred to a hospital:
·        My husband will stay with me and baby at all times
·        Only my practitioner, nurse, and attendees will be present
·        I want to eat if I wish
·        Stay hydrated with clear fluids instead of an IV
·        Be able to walk around and move around as I choose
·        To have a cot provided for my husband
·        All newborn procedures will take place in my presence
·        Delay clamping the cord by at least 5 minutes.(important)
·        Save placenta for encapsulation. (important) Do not fold placenta.
·        Have skin to skin post-birth
·        To breastfeed as soon as possible & only method of feeding (if not an option than a wide/slow flow nipple on a bottle is preferred) (important)
·        Have the baby sleep in room (24-hour room-in)
·        To stay in private room
·        I’d like to be discharged as soon as possible

Other interventions - If my baby and I are doing fine, I’dlike to:
·        Have intermittent rather than continuous fetal monitoring
·        Be allowed to progress free of stringent time limits and have my labor augmented only if necessary.

During my vaginal birth, I’d like:
·        Cheering and encouragement
·        Be able to view the birth using a mirror
·        Give birth without an episiotomy
·        Try multiple labor props:
o  Birthing stool
o  Birthing chair
o  Squatting bar
o  Birthing tub

After birth, I’d like:
·        To hold my baby skin-to-skin, or have my husband if I am not available to do so
·        I want to breastfeed as soon as possible
·        To wait until the 5 minutes at least to cut the umbilical cord before it is clamped and cut. I am not be donating my cord blood.
·        Not to get oxytocin (Pitocin) after I deliver the placenta unless it’s necessary
·        My placenta will be placed in a gallon Ziploc bag (I will provide), double bagged and placed in a brown paper bag for us to put on ice and return home with us. Do not fold the placenta, must lay flat.

Postpartum:
·        All newborn procedures will take place in my presence
·        My partner to stay with the baby at all times if I cannot be there
·        To stay in a private room

Pain relief:
·        Bath/shower
·        Acupressure
·        Breathing deep/soft lions/meditative breathing
·        Hot/cold therapy
·        Meditation/self-hypnosis
·        Massage
·        Yoga (cat cow, squat, squat on a chair etc)
·        No light touch or tickling
·        Please don’t offer me pain medication
·        Walk/sway/humming

Pushing:
·        If I am comfortable and ready, I want to be able to push when I feel it needs to happen, & in my own time as long as my baby and I are doing fine.
·        I do not want to hold my breath during pushing
·        If I need to be coached, I will ask for instruction.
·        I’d like to try the following positions for pushing (in order of preference):
o  Squatting
o  Hands & knees
o  Side-lying position
o  Whatever feels right at the time

Feeding – I want to breastfeed exclusively. Do not offer my baby formula or a pacifier. Ask before you provide sugar water.  

Circumcision – We are having a girl, but if it turns out to be a boy, he will not be circumcised.






No comments:

Post a Comment