Pages

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

My new job as a food provider

During my pregnancy I was talking to a co-worker about being a mom and going back to work and she said, she personally needed to go back at least part-time, so she had additional responsibilities other than being a professional milk-maker. At the time, I thought that was a good point, but the magnitude of that statement did not hit me until after the baby was born.

I understood going into motherhood that a baby eats, sleeps and poops, but I did not grasp how much they eat. The first couple weeks after baby was born the answer to all fussing was she must be hungry - which amounted to a total of anywhere from 2 to 4 hours a day breastfeeding. Then, the baby settled into feeding 8 times a day for 20 to 30 minutes at a time, which made it predictable and manageable. It was not until I started pumping the third week, that my lady friends received the names Mildred (left) and Bessie (right). In a playful way, my husband and I check in on how Mildred and Bessie are providing. It is true, I have become a professional milk-maker. How do I know that? I strive to do my best to produce healthy and adequate supply* of breast milk for my baby.   


* exclusively breastfeeding or drinking my milk and baby has adequate weight gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment